Confessions


You probably don’t know that when I first heard of Tolkien, I didn’t want to have anything to do with him. That would be a long story, but it has drastically changed. You can never tell a book by its cover, and you can rarely tell one by its critics. He is now among my favorite authors.

His “Hobbit” book helped me get through college; this, along with his trilogy, has taught me a great deal about endurance and trust, courage and hope, life and death struggles, and everyday living.

Speaking of bliss: As most readers already know, my brother will soon be wed to Miss Ellen Riley. Every day, I thank God for this match, which was truly made in Heaven, and look forward to that day in June which has been on the hearts and in the prayers of quite a few for many years.

What you don’t know is that in my lowest moments, it is one of my greatest comforts—this reminder that God answers prayer and that He is, indeed, a kind and loving Father Who never changes. 

As Amy Carmichael often offers, one of her poems could sum up my random thoughts quite nicely:

“I am the God of the stars.
They do not lose their way;
Not one do I mislay.
Their times are in My Hand;
They move at My command.

I am the God of the stars,
Today as yesterday,
The God of thee and thine,
Less thine they are than Mine;
And shall Mine go astray?

I am the God of the stars.
Lift up thine eyes and see
As far as mortal may
Into Eternity;
And stay thy heart on Me.”


(Stock photo)

Comments

Post a Comment