The Unexpected Journey: Visiting Tolkien's Desk

I just went on a small adventure...to Chicago! Despite feeling like "the wrong hobbit" for such a trip beforehand, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Eating new foods: Authentic Shepherd's Pie in an Irish restaurant, amazing Shawarma, and the famous Chicago deep dish pizza--all these (and more) were delicious. I sure didn't go hungry, even with a hobbit's appetite.

Touring Chicago was so cool! I saw the city from Hancock's 96th floor!

Most of the time I was in the suburb of Wheaton, working in a bookstore. It was so lovely to grab a coffee and pumpkin scone from Starbuck's in the morning and spend the day surrounded by the tantalizing smell of books.

But the real clencher for me, was inside the Wade Center on the campus of Wheaton College, for that is where I saw the desk, pipe, and wardrobe of C.S. Lewis, and--especially--the desk of J.R.R. Tolkien!!!!

It felt like coming home.


(Photo credits: Jennifer Arnold and Julie Frederick)

Comments