Remembering Personhood MS and Initiative 26

     I've been deleting old blogs, including the one I made for Yeson26. And remembering.

     For over two years, I had the opportunity to volunteer with Personhood Mississippi. I started petitioning in 2009 and helped with the campaign to get Initiative 26 get on the ballot. I guess that's how I spent most of my weekends during my last year of college. I debated (too much--I'm sorry) on Facebook. I wept on November 8, 2011 as Mississippians rejected the proposed law which would have protected the unborn and essentially ended abortion in our state. Only 42% voted YES.

     The Lord grew me during those years. There were multiple opportunities for sharing the Gospel. We carpooled many times to Memphis, TN and surround the Bellevue abortion clinic in prayer. Friendships were forged in the fires of racial prejudice and spiritual warfare. Those were golden, and I think, healing times. That clinic in Memphis has now closed; in fact, it's been razed to the ground.

     It's convicting, looking back. I used to wonder what would be the next big project. (Would we give Personhood another go?) But I want to be faithful in the little things of life, too. For, whether I'm witnessing to the homeless in a sketchy part of town or speaking a word of encouragement to a friend over a cup of coffee, Ephesians 6:12 reminds me, "We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." And in the final chapter, God wins.


Comments