January 2019 Reads

     For several years, it has been a struggle getting back to my old pre-college joy of reading. I'm still slower than I used to be, but I've just had the best reading month in probably a decade. For 2019, I decided to have smaller goals instead of a resolution for the whole year. Thus the upcoming (hopefully) monthly reading posts!

     In January, I finished four books, some of which I started more than a year ago:

  1. 20 Powerful Steps to a Healthier Life, by Dr. Richard Schulze. I've read a handful of health books over the years but this one is by far the most persuasive. Besides offering helpful herbal supplements on his website (https://www.herbdoc.com) he has several free e-books; this is the first I've read in full. His testimony of pursuing better health is mind-blowing and awe-inspiring, if you can overlook some language.
  2. The Bible (ESV). This was my first time to focus on the ESV... and to "read" at least 80% of it through audio, usually while driving. Whether you consider yourself a reader or not, there's no excuse for not being in the Word. So many helpful resources these days!
  3. All Things for Good, by Thomas Watson. We read this puritan author in a Church group around 2012 and I found his exposition on Romans 8:28 very comforting, though this time around was more convicting. In whatever circumstance I find myself, God is in control, and He will use it for my good and His glory.
  4. George Müller of Bristol, by A.T. Pierson. I listened almost entirely to the reading on the free Librivox audiobook app, which was much easier than trying to get through the large book I started a loooong time ago. I've been a fan of Müller since about age 12 when I first heard of his work with the orphans of London in the 1800's. He is well known as a prayer warrior, missionary, and founder of homes for over 10,000 orphans. His faith in the God who does not change is inspiring and convicting. At this time in my life, I was especially encouraged to read how, even though he was rather weak and sickly in his younger years, by "retirement" age, God enabled him to go on multiple mission trips, spanning the globe about 8 times; at the time of his death at age 93, he was as strong as ever, and had no pains, no rheumatism.
     So there I have a satisfactory start to a great year. February includes some lighter reads. Let's just say Paris and Tuscany may or may not be involved. ;)


(Photo credit: Jennifer Arnold)

Comments