February 2019 Reads

   I have fewer completed books for my February list, but I'm still working on some I mentioned last time; let's just say Julia Child's autobiography is really long! So February looks pretty light:
  1. Daddy-Long-Legs, by Jean Webster. This was just a fun read (for probably the third time) near my birthday. The niece of Mark Twain may have had terrible theology, but she could spin a cute story. The 1912 novel is about an orphan girl who finds herself with a college scholarship from an anonymous trustee. She's assigned to write regular letters addressed to Mr. John Smith; however, having no family and no one else to write to, she opts to give him a nickname based on his shadow she once glimpsed (resembling a daddy-long-leg spider). There were a couple movies made but neither come close to the charm of the book. (Somebody please make a worthy movie someday!) 
  2. 5-Minute Pete the Cat Stories, by James Dean. I’m not kidding. I really enjoyed most of the stories, even though they're aimed a young age group. Pete is one groovy cat! Plus, I just discovered a show on Amazon Prime based on the books. It seems pretty cool!
   Stay young! Read Kids' books!


(Stock photo)

    Comments