August 2019 Reads

   I'm afraid I didn't complete any books in June or July... but I was reading Dickens' Little Dorrit and keeping busy with many other things.
  1. Little Dorrit, by Charles Dickens. This was a very long, 2-part book. Listening to Librivox while driving helped tremendously; I probably couldn't get through it otherwise, despite the thrilling plot twists. Dickens wrote about the debtors' prison system he knew; about greed and pride and selflessness; about mystery and love and what might have been. Partly because of the 2008 BBC miniseries, which runs about 8 hours, it has recently become my favorite Dickens story. The series is available on Amazon Prime, and I think it does a great job of bringing the novel to the screen; however, one of my favorite scenes is not in the book, and features a coffee shop in the rain.
Well, that's just one book for last month, or rather, for the entire summer! I'm also currently finishing up some September reads, studying a book by Paul Washer and considering whether I'm going to keep up with the book club listening to Gaskell's Wives and Daughters.


(Photo still from the BBC series)

Comments