May 2019 Reads

It's been a long time, I know. Since May, my life has been through a few changes, and well, I just haven't set aside time to write like I should; writing is therapy. I did join a book club, which has been great! The month of May included new and inspiring travel destinations, particularly in Texas! And there's nothing like riding shotgun on a roadtrip to find time for reading. So, in order of completion, my reading list for the month included:
  1. The Magnolia Story, by Chip and Joanna Gaines, with Mark Dagostino. This autobiography is one of the most enjoyable and heartwarming I have ever read! It was great to be able to borrow it from the library, but I found it so inspiring that I plan to own it one day. Chip and Jo share stories from their childhood, to meeting at her dad’s store, an almost botched first date, a fairytale wedding, years of hard work flipping houses and...trust! I was frustrated every time they had to go through a hard situation, but it’s obvious that God was leading them the whole way; there is just no other explanation for how they got to where they are today! I was especially touched by how Joanna chose gratitude in situations where many others would be gasping for breath in the midst of self-pity; she chose to thrive no matter what. In early May, we had the opportunity to visit their lovely restaurant and nearby Magnolia Market at the Silos in Waco, TX. Both went beyond my expectations and I would like to go again, especially for the cinnamon rolls.
  2. Girl, Stop Apologizing, by Rachel Hollis. I started this book thinking it was aimed only at those wanting to become entrepreneurs. It’s not. And I’m 100% sure RH isn’t suggesting that we should all turn into jerks who never admit when we’re wrong. Not at all. She’s talking about how we can be prone to feel guilty about our beliefs and our dreams, and how we should stop making excuses for what we want to do with our lives. She gives specific advice for letting go of the opinions of others (especially when we're only going by "perceived" opinions), and to stop feeling guilty for what we know is right for our families. Why fuel negative emotions, comparing ourselves to others? God enables us to do what He wants us to do. Again, I don’t agree with everything she says, but I do find some of it helpful.
  3. Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen. First off, Librivox offers many older audiobooks free of charge, so if you haven’t checked out their app, you should. I was able to enjoy this novel during a couple weeks of driving. Many are familiar with this English classic from 1811, though perhaps even more are familiar with the 1995 movie starring Emma Thompson. It’s not my favorite of Austen’s novels, but the movie was my first experience with period drama and it’s still my favorite to this day. The story focuses on two sisters, and their differences in personality and judgment. It’s about redemption and loyalty, with the book delving into these themes more deeply than the movie. However, Harry Potter fans get an added bonus in watching the movie because most of the actors have a role in the Potter films--I found that hilarious the first time I watched the series!
   This last book is one I read a long time ago, which I might not have revisited any time soon apart from the book club. I needed the push, and I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading/listening to more books with the group! 
   May was a season of growth, despite little rain. Maybe that translates into my personal life as well. Maybe sometimes one needs more of the unusually hot sun and less of the calming, comforting rain. But we can all choose to thrive. We can choose joy.



Comments